Welcome

Welcome to Broken Wings. These writings are a part of my own journey of self discovery. I have no answers, but I am asking questions and pondering and looking within to see what I find. I share my writings in hope of helping others in their journey of self discovery, in hopes of encouraging others to look within themselves to find the insights in to their own questions.

All I know is that I know nothing
- Socrates


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Different Does Not Equal Wrong

I wonder how many people are hiding out from the world because they feel they see things from a different level that no one else understands.  I am sure there are many.  I've been really surprised to discover many of the people that I thought were quiet and shy or people who I thought had low self esteem were actually reserving their point of view because their point of view seemed so different.  Even more shocking was to discover that they felt they shouldn't bother speaking because they were coming from a level others just couldn't possibly understand.

It's interesting to watch as others fill the world in on what they understand that no one else possibly could or  listen while they make something clear because they are sure they are seeing it way more clearly.  When I come across this is causes me to stop and wonder how often I come across like this.  Do I talk down to people?  Do I assume that I have a full understanding of what they know and don't know or what they've experienced and understand, when really I don't have a clue?  I am sure I do and I have or I wouldn't be able to recognize this behavior in others.

Have I been afraid to speak the truth as I see it because no one will understand or someone will judge me?
Have I assumed that I know more than others or understand things others don't or that I know where someone is coming from when I really have no clue?
Have I taken the actions and words of those around me personally and gotten offended by them?
Have I understood that all I have to do is try my best and that is all everyone else around me needs to do?  Can I see that we all do the best we can with what we've been given and what we've learned through out our lives and that is all we can expect from each other?

When I feel someone is talking down to me I don't like the way it feels, so I do my best to not talk down to others, that's all I can do, try my best.  I also have learned  to do my best not to take everything everyone says or does personally.  I've learned to do my best to speak my own truth from my heart and to not make assumptions about the words and actions of others.

People are going to have differing point of views and different levels of understanding.  Just because we see things differently does not mean we can't all get along.  Different does not mean wrong.  What would happen if we could let go of the idea that "our" way is the only way and understand that there are many different ways of seeing things and while we won't always agree, that doesn't mean we have to hate or judge each other, it simply means we see things differently.

What if we were to open up to the point of views of others and to the idea of sharing our own point of views knowing that we may all have different point of views, but that's OK.  What if we embrace differences rather than hiding from them or being afraid of them?  What if we were to open up to everybody and not just those who see things from our point of view?  What if we were to really offer love and support to  everyone, not just people we agree with?  How different would our world look if we could do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment