Welcome

Welcome to Broken Wings. These writings are a part of my own journey of self discovery. I have no answers, but I am asking questions and pondering and looking within to see what I find. I share my writings in hope of helping others in their journey of self discovery, in hopes of encouraging others to look within themselves to find the insights in to their own questions.

All I know is that I know nothing
- Socrates


Saturday, June 11, 2011

Three Simple Words

There are three simple words that many of us struggle with.  We look out at our world and everything around us and want to utter them out loud, but hold back.  What are we so afraid of? What will happen if we push past our fear and simply say,  "I don't know" when faced with all of the questions of our world.  Does not knowing the answer to all of the questions of the world or admitting that we really have no answers or we may be a little confused about the answers make us less of a person?  Does pretending or assuming we do have all of the answers make us more of a person?  I wonder what would happen if we all embraced the three simple words, I DON'T KNOW.

One thing I've noticed as I've searched high and low for "answers" is that the minute I find what feels like an answer, the question changes.  It's almost as if once I finally am able to fully wrap my brain around a new concept or "answer" everything shifts and I realized what I thought I knew no longer seems relevant and is now replaced with a new understanding, then the new question pops up causing me to look even deep until I realize that even the "new" concept isn't set in stone.  As I open up to new questions, the answers seem to change.  How can this be?  Isn't the truth the truth?  Aren't my beliefs engraved in stone and set in my heart and soul OR are my beliefs merely what I have learned along the path of my life?  Are my beliefs perhaps simply understandings that I've picked up along the way from those who have molded me and directed me in my growth as a human?  Perhaps they come from outside of me rather than within me.  Maybe what I know and understand is an ever changing and growing process, something to be experienced rather than engraved in stone on my heart.

What if we looked at it this way.  I happened to be born in the United States, to Christians in a middle class family.  Who I appear to be, what I believe has been shaped by the life that I have experienced.  Because my family was a potluck of religions, I learned to be opened to loving people of many religions, but because my family was Christian I became a Christian.  Because one of my best friends was of Hispanic decent, my step family was full of Italian immigrants and and I was taught from childhood on that Jesus loves the little children, ALL the children of the world,  I didn't form any strong prejudices against those who were not of my strong German/Scottish decent.  My life experiences taught me to be who I am, they helped formed my beliefs.

What if I had been born in another country?  What if I'd been born into a family of a very different religion?  What if I'd been raised only with people of my own ethnic decent around me?  What if I'd been taught to only hate and fear those of other religions or races?  Who would I be then?  What beliefs would I hold?

It's apparent that my "beliefs" would be different depending on who raised me, where I was raised and what I was exposed to.  My beliefs would have been formed by my surroundings.  My beliefs could possibly be completely opposite of what I hold now.  I think though,  what would have remained the same is my inner spark.  Underneath all of those worldly experiences and beliefs would lie my inner spark, the divinity within.

Deep underneath all of those layers of what I believe and who I think I am lies who I really am, the "real" me.  My beliefs are not who I am, they are what I've learned.  Who I am goes so much deeper than just my beliefs. This is why it's important to not judge others for their beliefs.  This is why it's important to stop when we are judging and hating others based on their beliefs and try to see the divinity that lives deep within them.  It's when we realize that if it weren't for the good fortune of being born where we were born, we might have become who they appear to be, we might hold their exact beliefs.  It's time to see we can't fight hate with hate.

I'm not suggesting everyone has to let go of their beliefs, I'm suggesting that we stop using our own beliefs and the beliefs of others as a basis for judgment and hatred.  I'm suggesting that we understand that we don't have all of the answers, that no one has all of the answer, that our way isn't the only way and that when we think we've got everything all figured out and have all of the answers, everything will change again.  When this happens we have to be prepared to center ourselves, dig deep and see what new answers we find and explore those ideas and concepts with an opened heart and mind.  

It would be useful in times of confusion and change to meditate or pray to connect with the source of divinity and ask them to help guide us safely on our path.  We are never alone, the love of God lives within us and will always help see us through any questions, confusion, struggles and learning experiences that we must face.  They will help us to know that it's OK to not know the answers, we can let go of our need to know it all and say, "I don't know."   All we have to do is ask for their help and help will arrive.  This I do know.

No comments:

Post a Comment