Welcome

Welcome to Broken Wings. These writings are a part of my own journey of self discovery. I have no answers, but I am asking questions and pondering and looking within to see what I find. I share my writings in hope of helping others in their journey of self discovery, in hopes of encouraging others to look within themselves to find the insights in to their own questions.

All I know is that I know nothing
- Socrates


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Games People Play

Have you ever wondered why they call us the human race? What are we racing towards? What are we competing for? Why are we in a "race"? Are we really in a race? Is it all just a game?

I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel like I am a lab rat of some kind. Running here and there reacting to different situations and different people, needing to sniff every single thing I encounter in desperate search for a hunk of cheese. I often wonder if someone is watching me or if perhaps I am somewhere watching myself and laughing or crying at the way I react to each situation. I'm sure there are many times when a clear, simple solution has been available to my "problems", but I've complicated my own life by casting those aside for more interesting, messy, sticky solutions. Am I sitting some where watching myself and shaking my head at the messes I've made? Probably saying...WAKE UP IDIOT, it doesn't have to be that complicated! Just take the shortest route to the cheese already!

Maybe I'm just confused and crazy from all of the cheese chasing, but there also seems to be an awful lot of tail chasing going on around here...you know, when you are running around in a circle trying to catch your own tail like a dog! What's the point of that game anyway? What prize do we win when we capture our own tail?

I'm a little tired of the tail chasing. I find myself more and more exhausted with taking the difficult path and learning the hard way. Maybe I'm getting old and tired or maybe I am finally wising up or waking up, who knows? What I do know is that I am more willing now to take a step back in situations, to really look at what is going on and try to figure out why it is going on and to not make any moves until I am really clear in my heart about what move to make. I don't just spot my tail and chase it any longer, I eyeball it and see whether it's something I really want to chase or just a distraction that will take me around and around in circles. Is what I am seeing the "hunk of cheese" I want to chase after? I really have no desire to go round and round in circles any longer or run through mazes, I'd much rather break free from the mazes and circling and find myself spiraling upward.

The problem with breaking free from the circle is sometimes you spiral downwards instead of upwards. When this happens it's easy to get distracted and scared and long for our safe circular motion again. That little maze suddenly doesn't seem so bad, it's familiar and safe even though it drove us nuts! But, perhaps, we need to spiral downwards to see what it's like down there and if we are patient and loving with ourselves and hang on and really look within ourselves instead of falling back into our old game pattern, we can begin to move ourselves upward again.

Perhaps, some day when we stop playing games and searching for the cheese or chasing our tails, we will become more focused on always looking within ourselves. We will learn to focus on connecting with our heart and stop falling back into our old game patterns, we will no longer be caught circling or spiraling downward, we will only move up. Wouldn't that be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment