Welcome

Welcome to Broken Wings. These writings are a part of my own journey of self discovery. I have no answers, but I am asking questions and pondering and looking within to see what I find. I share my writings in hope of helping others in their journey of self discovery, in hopes of encouraging others to look within themselves to find the insights in to their own questions.

All I know is that I know nothing
- Socrates


Friday, September 23, 2011

Walk the Walk

It seems so many times we are full of understandings of our own and want to share them with everyone around us. But what use is just talking? How beneficial is talking the talk if you aren't willing to walk the walk? Speaking the words without putting the actions behind them seems kind of useless really.

Most of us understand that we learn the most about someone by observing their actions rather than listening to their words. As a preschool teacher and mother I understand that modeling behavior is the best way to teach. So what purpose does it serve to only speak to others about how things "should be" or how people "should act" if we ourselves are not willing to act in the manner we are "preaching" about?

I remember when my children were young taking them into a store and telling them not to touch and then finding myself touching everything...I'm very tactile oriented and want to touch everything. The irony of it all made me laugh. How can I expect my children not to touch the pretties if I myself have to touch them?

We can't yell at our children to be quiet and then wonder why they are so loud? How can we say we are for peace, but spread hate against anything, it is impossible to find peace through hating something. It really is pretty simple to understand, but not always each to put into actions.

As always we have to be the example we want to see. If we want to be loved and accepted unconditionally, WE have to love and ACCEPT EVERYBODY UNCONDITIONALLY. If we want to create peace, WE have to ACT IN A PEACEFUL LOVING MANNER. If we want to end hate, WE have to STOP HATING. If we want to see things getting done in our world, WE have to TAKE ACTION. If we want to be accepted in groups, WE have to REACH OUT TO OTHERS. If we don't want to be judged WE have to STOP BEING JUDGMENTAL. I could go on and on with this list, but I believe you get the idea.

Yes, we will all stumble and fall as we walk our walk, but we simply pick ourselves up, see what tripped us up, regain our balance and start walking all over again.

If we aren't willing to back up or talking by being willing to do the walking, we will never get anywhere and we are just wasting our time and the time of those around us.

We shouldn't be afraid to talk the talk, but we need to be willing to do the walking if we are going to do the talking. Seems pretty clear and easy to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment